Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Sports Writing Makes the Goal

White enjoying the sights New York City has to offer.
 He won this trip in an essay contest in 2010.


What is the perfect career for an N.C. State student with a passion for sports and writing? Chris White knows.

Planning to graduate in May of 2014, White is a junior majoring in sports management with a minor in journalism. He hopes to land an internship with either the Durham Bulls or the Hurricanes to assist in his aspiring career of becoming a sports writer.

“I am originally from Durham so it would be a great opportunity to be able to work with a local team,” White said last week.

Not only is White preparing for his career by taking writing and sports management classes, but he also has a blog titled “Reflections,” which is updated frequently.  He writes about a variety of topics including music, movies, politics, and of course, sports.

“My blog is great practice for what I want to do in the future and I get to have fun while doing it,” he said.

Throughout the months of summer when school is out of session, White puts his passion to practice by working at his local Baptist church as a camp counselor. He has been a counselor at the Grey Stone Baptist Church Summer Camp for five years after he spent time volunteering in the program and being a camper as a child. White is able to play different sports with the kids and interact through many fun activities.

“I love being able to work with kids," White said. "It gives me a chance to broaden my experiences in the world of sports." “Basketball is a camp favorite that never gets old.”

As the school year continues, White stays hard at work on the path to finishing his degree. He is keeping an open mind for future careers after graduation, but sports writing is his number one choice.

“I have always kept the options of coaching, sports medicine, or even being an agent in the back of my head,” he said. “As long as my job has something to do with sports, I’ll be happy.”

No comments:

Post a Comment